Cops hunt driver of killer truck in North Cotabato

Photo from PNA

MAKILALA, North Cotabato – Police have launched a manhunt against a truck driver whose vehicle plowed to death four motorists along the section of the Davao-Cotabato highway here Thursday.

Sr. Supt. Jonathan Tangonan, North Cotabato police director, has ordered all police chiefs of North Cotabato’s 17 towns to help locate the truck driver who fled following the incident.

Shortly before noon, the wayward 10-wheeler cargo truck plowed three motorcycles along the national highway in Barangay Patulangon here killing four motorists on the spot, including a woman.

Melvin Fortajada, chair of Barangay Patulangon, said four people on three motorcycles were killed on the spot after the truck rolled over them. The woman’s body was cut in half and sprawled on the roadside.

“The victims were unaware of the wayward truck before it hit them,” Fortajada said, adding that the truck and the three motorbikes were moving in the same direction.

The fatalities were identified as Edgar Pajal, 44; Juanito Duhilag, 37; Viverlen Aguanan, 16; and Stephen Paredes, 33, all local residents.

The driver, before fleeing, told responding civilians his brake system malfunctioned and he lost control of the truck.

Fortajada said the name of truck driver had been forwarded to the police while the truck owner has been officially informed. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...