Corn, palay production in NegOcc up in 2017

BACOLOD CITY – Corn and palay production in Negros Occidental increased in 2017.

Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) data showed for corn, production grew by 12.73 percent in 2017 to 146,742 metric tons compared to the 130,167 metric tons produced in 2016.

Area planted also increased from 64,899 hectares to 68,920 hectares in 2017 both for yellow and white varieties.

PSA-Negros Occidental officer-in-charge Joely Cabarles said higher price of  corn as a result of  increased market demand has encouraged  farmers to plant more corn.

Cabarles said most of  total corn yield of Negros Occidental goes to commercial feeds production which also complements the flourishing  livestock and poultry industry of the province.

Meanwhile, Cabarles said the introduction of farm technologies to rice farmers in Negros Occidental has resulted in the increasing trend in the province’s annual palay production.

It’s not because of crop conversion, but more on the introduction of farm technologies, he added.

PSA-Negros Occidental cited the increase of 4.9 percent in the province’s palay production in 2017.

Last year’s yield totaled 474,874 metric tons, with or an actual increase of 22,000 metric tons, compared to the 452,582 metric tons in 2016.

Cabarles said the upward movement in the annual palay production can be attributed to the impact of technologies introduced by the Provincial Government through the Office of the Provincial Agriculturist.

He added that aside from modern equipment, technologies introduced to rice farmers include practices like level of fertilizer application and weeds control.

Cabarles noted that although not all farmers in Negros Occidental have  started adapting modern technologies, the province’s palay production would still increase gradually.

“With hybridization plus farm mechanization, we can expect that in the next three to five years the improvement in palay production in the province would be very evident,” Cabarles said. (Erwin Nicavera/PNA)

Popular

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...

PBBM eyes different gov’t post for Torre, Palace confirms

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is offering former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III a different position in the...

‘Organic, real people’: Gomez belies claims that PCO pays for reactors, vloggers

By Brian Campued Presidential Communications Office (PCO) acting Secretary Dave Gomez on Tuesday stressed that the PCO does not pay reactors and vloggers to support...