Cotabato City starts inoculation of seniors, Mecca-bound pilgrims

By Edwin Fernandez/PNA

COTABATO CITY – Health authorities here have started the inoculation of some 21,0000 senior citizens here, including 102 pilgrims bound for Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

City Health Office (CHO) chief Dr. Meyasser Patadon said Thursday (April 22) the vaccination rollout for the elderly will run until Sunday.

“We have ample Sinovac vaccines for our senior residents courtesy of the national government,” he said.

Aside from the city’s vaccination hub situated at the CHO compound, Covid-19 inoculation will also be conducted at the gymnasiums of seven of the city’s public schools.

“This is to maintain minimum health protocols, including social distancing,” Patadon said.

Among those who lined up for the vaccination was Emergancia Diaz, 85, who was in a wheelchair. She survived Covid-19 after testing positive for the disease last year. 

Her husband Quintin, 86, had shown symptoms of the disease and also survived.

“We are so happy that we now have protection against Covid-19,” she said.

The couple was among the recipients included in the A2 priority list of the population group in the city.

Meanwhile, Danilo Roldan, 70, said he wants to get vaccinated to have peace of mind.

“I’m not getting any younger, I have comorbidities, so I grab this offer from the government,” he said. “I feel good now.”

As for the Mecca-bound pilgrims, Patadon said the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos has required all pilgrims from the Philippines to undergo vaccination before joining the annual Hajj.

Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah said only “immunized people” will be granted permits to perform Umrah as well as prayers in the Grand Mosque in Mecca. (PNA) -jlo

 

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...