Creation of probe task group sought to solve village chief’s slay

DUMAGUETE CITY — Siaton town’s chief of police has requested the Negros Oriental Police Provincial Office to create a Special Investigation Task Group to probe the killing of the chairman of Barangay Casalaan earlier this week.

Senior Insp. Varie Villanobos made the request to fast-track the resolution of the case of Ronnie Ramos Valiente, 51, who was shot dead by unidentified riding-in-tandem suspects in Barangay 4, Siaton at about 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, the town’s deputy police chief, Senior Insp. Luisito Pinili, said in an interview on Thursday afternoon.

Pinili noted that there are witnesses to the shooting but “they are afraid.”

He said they are considering all angles, such as personal grudge or even politics, as the motive behind the killing.

Valiente came from Dumaguete City and upon arrival at the bus terminal in Siaton, he proceeded to the residence of a certain Boboy Radoc on board a “habal-habal” or motorcycle-for-hire to get his own motorcycle.

As he disembarked, the suspects fired at him using a caliber .45 pistol, hitting him in different parts of the body, which resulted in his death. (Mary Judaline Partlow/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...