Customs donates P460-K worth of used clothing to NegOr gov’t

By Mary Judaline Partlow/PNA

DUMAGUETE CITY — The Bureau of Customs (BOC) Sub-Port Office in Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental donated 149 bales of seized used clothing, popularly known as “ukay-ukay” worth PHP459,000 to the provincial government.

Dumaguete Customs Collector Fe Lluelyn G. Toring said they donated the seized “ukay-ukay” on Wednesday to the provincial government through the Provincial Social Welfare Office, headed by OIC Phoebe Pamilaga.

Present to witness the donation were Dr. Henry A. Sojor, provincial administrator representing Governor Roel Degamo, Task Force Leon Kilat head Bimbo Miraflor, Jeremias Agui, state auditor of the Bureau of Customs in Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, and media representatives.

Toring said the bales of used clothing were seized sometime in July last year. The items originated from Korea and transported from Manila to Dumaguete, she noted.

According to her, they are discouraging the sale and use of “ukay-ukay” clothing not only because it is illegal but also because such items are “unhealthy”.

“Actually, mandate ni siya sa DSWD nga ang mga used clothing adto muagi nila kay gi donate man ni nga relief goods (it is mandated by law that the Department of Social Welfare and Development should receive these used clothes as these are donated as relief goods), and therefore, these should not be in the commercial market,” Toring pointed out.

She also stressed that the BOC is discouraging people from buying and wearing used clothing for hygiene reasons “kay wala baya gyud ta kabalo sa mga sakit-sakit (we can’t really tell about the diseases) from these clothes”.

Toring said the donated used clothing will be distributed to the different towns and cities of the province.

She also clarified that the BOC does not have jurisdiction over the proliferation of used clothing in the commercial market because it is already beyond their authority and they can only intercept and seize those coming in through the different ports.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...