Cyberattacks in Ukraine, Russia Spread Across Europe, Hit US

FILE – A man types on a computer keyboard in this illustration, Feb. 28, 2013. Many institutions in Ukraine were paralyzed by a cyberattack Tuesday.

A wave of cyberattacks that hit Ukraine and Russia spread beyond the borders of those countries, wreaking havoc on government and corporate computer systems in Europe and across the Atlantic.

Banks, government offices and airports in Ukraine were among the first to report the cyberattack. Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Pavlo Rozenko tweeted a photo of his black computer screen, saying the government’s headquarters had been shut down.

Multiple international firms reported being affected Tuesday. They included America’s Merck pharmaceutical company, Russia’s Rosneft oil giant, the Danish shipping giant A.P. Moller-Maersk, British advertising giant WPP and French industrial group Saint-Gobain.

“We confirm our company’s computer network was compromised today as part of global hack. Other organizations have also been affected,” Merck said on Twitter.

Anders Rosendahl, a spokesman for A.P. Moller-Maersk, said the attack had “affected all branches” of the shipping group, both at home and abroad.

Information technology experts identified the virus as a type of ransomware — a program that is often used to hold data “hostage” until a payment is delivered.

A National Security Council spokesman said the Department of Homeland Security, the FBI and other agencies were “working with public and private, domestic and international partners to respond to this event and provide technical information for prevention and remediation.”

“Individuals and organizations are discouraged from paying the ransom as this does not guarantee access will be restored,” the spokesman added.

British Defense Minister Michael Fallon spoke earlier at a conference hosted by the Chatham House policy institute in London. He did not address the attack but discussed how Britain was responding in general to cybersecurity concerns.

“We are investing a huge chunk of money — some £1.9 billion [$2.4 billion] — into boosting our cybersecurity,” Fallon said.

Europol’s European Cybercrime Center told anyone affected by Tuesday’s attack to report the crime to national police and encouraged those affected not to pay any ransom requested by hackers.

VOA’s Jeff Seldin contributed to this report. | via voanews

Popular

Public warned vs. ash fall as Kanlaon erupts anew

By Brian Campued Authorities advised residents in Negros Oriental and Negros Occidental to be cautious of possible ashfall emitted by Kanlaon Volcano after it erupted...

PBBM focused on governance, no plans yet for 2028 polls —Palace

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. remains unfazed amid Vice President Sara Duterte’s announcement to run for president in 2028, Malacañang said, noting...

PH official maps, charts show maritime jurisdiction in WPS —NAMRIA

By Marita Moaje | Philippine News Agency The National Mapping and Resource Information Authority (NAMRIA) has clarified the roles of official Philippine maps and the...

PBBM, Japan delegates reaffirm stronger business ties

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. welcomed delegates of the Economic Cooperation Committees of Japan and the Philippines for their 42nd Annual Joint...