D.A. eyes distribution of smuggled, ‘safe’ frozen fish to 210-K disaster-hit families

FOR RELIEF. Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. led the inspection of seized smuggled agricultural products at the Port of Subic in Zambales on July 8, 2025. In a statement on Friday (Aug. 1), Laurel said they are eyeing to distribute the frozen fish found to be safe for human consumption to Filipinos affected by recent calamities. (Photo courtesy: BOC)

By Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Agriculture (D.A.) on Friday said it seeks to distribute smuggled yet “safe” frozen fish to at least 210,000 Filipino households in disaster-hit areas.

This came after the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) deemed the smuggled frozen mackerel, which were previously seized at the Port of Manila and Subic, as “safe for human consumption” after it showed negative results for histamine and other microbiological contaminants.

In a statement, Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said the smuggled fish may help provide relief to Filipinos affected by the heavy rains and flooding due to the enhanced southwest monsoon and successive tropical cyclones.

“Today, the need is far more urgent. Millions have been displaced, and communities are still reeling from the devastation caused by widespread flooding,” he said, citing plans to recommend the distribution to President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.

Once transferred from the Bureau of Customs (BOC), the frozen mackerel may be turned over to the Office of the President (OP) or the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).

A total of 210 metric tons (MT) of frozen mackerel, with 30 MT for each of the seven container vans, will be available for distribution.

“This may be a small gesture, but it could bring meaningful relief to countless struggling Filipinos,” Tiu Laurel said.

In December 2024, thousands of Filipino families received frozen fish as an “unexpected gift” from the President.

Other seized smuggled onions from the Port of Manila and Subic, meanwhile, will be subject to disposal. Although they tested negative for bacteria, heavy metals, or pesticides, they are showing signs of decay.

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...