DA allots P450-M for purchase of ‘food boats’

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — The Department of Agriculture (DA) has allocated around PHP450 million for next year’s acquisition of two refrigerated vessels.

Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol announced here on Thursday that they have finalized the plans for the purchase of the vessels, which will be utilized to ferry various agricultural products from parts of the country to major markets.

“You can use it to bring your tuna here even from Tawi-Tawi and Sulu,” Piñol said in his keynote speech at the opening of the 20th National Tuna Congress.

Piñol was referring to tuna catches of local fishing companies operating in the seas off Sulu and nearby fishing grounds.

Dubbed “food boats,” he said the vessels may also be utilized to carry fruits, vegetables, and other farm commodities.

He said the vessels will be equipped with refrigerated container vans and other facilities necessary for the transport of fish products and other perishable goods.

As additional support to the fishing industry, he said DA will roll out starting next year the establishment of ice-making plants in parts of the country. He said they have identified at least 47 areas near fishing grounds as beneficiaries.

Piñol pushed for the purchase of the “food boats” in November last year and later pushed for an initial allocation of around PHP270 million. Earlier, he said the bidding for the vessels will start next year so that these can be deployed by mid-2020.

He said the “food boats” aims to partly address the high shipping cost for products coming from Mindanao that are bound for major markets like Metro Manila.

Tuna industry players here have been reeling over the high domestic shipping and freight costs, which was based on the provisions Republic Act 1937 or the Cabotage Law.

The Socsksargen Federation of Fishing and Allied Industries Inc. had earlier passed a resolution requesting the government to rationalize the cabotage provisions and related regulations to reduce shipping, freight and transportation costs. The group said these measures will enhance the viability of domestic trading. (Allen Estabillo/PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...