DA sees lower rice prices starting June

By Anna Leah Gonzales | Philippine News Agency

Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said on Friday rice prices will likely decline starting next month.

Laurel at the sidelines of the Horticulture and Urban Agriculture Summit in Makati City said prices of rice in the international market declined for the past weeks.

“The reality is it’s declining up until last week at US$590 per ton but unfortunately, this week it went up to US$630 per ton,” he said.

Prices, however, are expected to go down again starting June.

“On average, I think prices should be lower by next month ng kunti pero ang prediction din namin by second half pababa ang presyo sana ng rice sa international market,” Laurel said.

“If world prices go down, definitely, local prices will go down also,” he added.

Meanwhile, Laurel is optimistic that palay production will go up in the next harvest season.

Data from the Philippine Statistics Authority earlier showed that palay production slightly fell to 4.68 million metric tons in the first quarter of the year from 4.77 million tons a year ago.

“El Niño really had its effect. Padating na yung ulan and sana walang malakas na bagyo. Kung walang malakas na bagyo, babawi tayo but of course darating ang La Niña. Sana hindi ganun kalakas then we should be okay,” Laurel said.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...