Dagupan City placed under state of calamity anew

DAGUPAN CITY — A state of calamity has again been declared in this city due to the damage wrought by Typhoon Ompong.

The Sangguniang Panlungsod (Provincial Board) passed on Wednesday afternoon Resolution No. 5683 regarding the declaration upon the urgent request of Mayor Belen Fernandez.

“While Super Typhoon ‘Ompong’ already left the Philippine Area of Responsibility last week, the effects of said super typhoon are still being felt by the city. It is imperative that we address the continuing impact (health and the life preservation concerns) of Typhoon ‘Ompong’, which are beyond the duration of its onslaught,” Fernandez said in a letter to Vice Mayor Brian Lim.

“The numerous severe weather conditions that visited our area have lessened our constituents’ resources and capability to combat the effects of the recent disaster. There are more in need now and they require the city’s unequivocal assistance,” she added.

Prior to the new declaration, the city was placed on a state of calamity last July 21 due to massive flooding brought about by several days of torrential rains, aggravated by high tide and the breach of an earth dike in Sta. Barbara town that lasted for more than a week.

“Ompong” caused PHP8.5-million worth of damage to agriculture and affected 20,387 families, or 78.251 individuals, in the city.

City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office head Ronald de Guzman, in an interview Thursday, said of the total damage to agriculture, PHP7.8 million were in fisheries and PHP663,000, in rice and other crops. (Liwayway Yparraguirre/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...