Dagupan moves school opening to Oct. 4

By Hilda Austria/ Philippine News Agency

DAGUPAN CITY – With just a day before the scheduled opening of schools, Mayor Marc Brian Lim has decided to move the start of classes for this school year to Oct. 4 due to the current public health emergency.

In Executive Order (EO) No. 29 issued on Saturday (Sept. 11) night, Lim said the postponement includes all school activities that will require face-to-face interaction and mass gatherings, such as releasing of self-learning modules and others that qualify as a health risk.

However, school activities not requiring physical presence or face-to-face interaction among the stakeholders may be permitted to proceed.

“The EO shall not cover the operation of schools previously permitted to open and which had already started, or with ongoing classes through cloud and video conferences and other remote platforms which do not require face-to-face interaction,” Lim said.

The Mayor added that schools, colleges, and universities allowed to conduct face-to-face classes, internships, and in-campus laboratory for hospital practicum, only for medical and health allied programs consistent with the joint memorandum circular of the Department of Health and the Commission on Higher Education, are also exempted from the coverage of the EO.

Lim said the Dagupan City Public School Teachers and Employees Association Inc. pleaded through a communication with the city government for an issuance postponing the opening of schools considering that teachers and personnel risk being exposed to the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) infection with the face-to-face interaction related to the opening of classes and distribution of self-learning modules.

“The opening of classes requires the reporting for work of teachers and personnel to distribute, and the parents trooping to the schools to receive the self-learning modules for the pupils, and thus lead not only to face-to-face interaction but also to mass gathering, which should be restricted as part of stringent health measures against the spread of the virus,” he added.

As of Sept. 10, Dagupan has recorded 823 active Covid-19 cases. (PNA) -bny

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...