Death toll from Indonesia school collapse rises to 37

CASUALTY. The remains of a student killed in a building collapse at the Al Khoziny Islamic boarding school are brought in a body bag to the Bhayangkara Hospital in Surabaya, East Java province on October 4, 2025. (Photo courtesy: Juni Kriswanto / AFP)

By Agence France-Presse

The death toll from an Indonesian school collapse rose to 37 on Sunday, officials said, as rescuers recovered more victims buried under the rubble.

Part of the multi-storey building on Indonesia’s Java island suddenly collapsed on Monday as students gathered for afternoon prayers.

“As of Sunday morning, the number of recovered victims was 141 people. 104 were in safe condition, 37 were dead,” National Search and Rescue Agency Operations Director Yudhi Bramantyo said in a statement.

He added that 26 people were still missing. The death toll included a body part that rescuers retrieved from the rubble on Saturday, Yudhi said.

The recovery operation was around “60 percent” complete, National Disaster Agency Official Budi Irawan told reporters, adding that he hoped it would be concluded soon.

“Our hope is that by tomorrow everything will be leveled and we can determine the approximate number of victims who are in the rubble,” Budi said in a livestreamed press conference.

Local search and rescue agency head Nanang Sigit confirmed the death toll of 37 in a separate statement.

Investigators have been looking into the cause of the collapse, but initial signs pointed to substandard construction, according to experts.

The rescue operation was complex because vibrations in one place could affect other areas, officials said.

But the families of the missing agreed on Thursday for heavy equipment to be used, after the 72-hour “golden period” for the best chance of survival came to an end.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...