Dengue cases in Bacolod City up by 121%

By Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA

BACOLOD CITY — Cases of dengue fever in Bacolod City increased by almost 121 percent in the first five weeks of 2019, City Health Office (CHO) records showed.

Dr. Grace Tan, head of CHO Environment Sanitation Division, said on Monday that from January 1 to February 5, they have recorded a total of 201 cases, including one death, compared to only 91 during the same period last year.

“We are still advocating for ‘search and destroy’ of all probable mosquito breeding and nesting places both in and out of houses, buildings and other areas,” she said.

Tan said it is still the people who primarily need to participate in the dengue prevention campaign, “Don’t wait for the local government or the City Health Office to go to you,” she added.

Tan said although dengue cases peak during rainy months, cases are also reported in other months of the year.

“Based on our previous data, 2019 has been predicted as a year where dengue cases will increase if we don’t do something about it,” she added.

Dengue cases usually spike every three years. In 2016, the CHO recorded 2,180 cases, but cases decreased in 2017 (1,965) and 2018 (1,493). In 2013, cases in Bacolod reached 3,300 while in 2010, it was 4,278.

Thus, dengue cases are expected to increase anew this 2019.

In Bacolod, dengue cases were reported in 34 of the city’s 61 barangays from January 1 to February 2.

Handumanan has the highest number of cases at 17. Tangub and Estefania have 15 each; Pahanocoy and Singcang-Airport, 14 each; Mansilingan, 13; Granada, 12; Sum-ag and Mandalagan, 10 each; Bata and Taculing, nine each; Villamonte, seven; Banago and Alijist, six each; Barangay 35, five; Barangays 2, 40 and Felisa, four each; Barangays 1, 16, Alangilan, Vista Alegre, and Cabug, three each; and Barangay 7, two.

Barangays 3, 4, 6, 11, 13, 19, 30, 31, 39 and Punta Taytay have once each.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...