Dengue outbreak declared in 4 NegOr villages

By Juancho Gallarde/Philippine News Agency

DUMAGUETE CITY — The Department of Health (DOH) and Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) here have declared a dengue outbreak in four barangays in the province of Negros Oriental.

These are the villages of Inapoy and Tara in the municipality of Mabinay and Bal-os and Poblacion in the municipality of Basay, both situated in the boundaries with Negros Occidental.

These barangays had zero cases of dengue in the past three to five years, but in the last few weeks, cases went up to alarming levels, prompting the declaration of a dengue outbreak.

Assistant provincial health officer Dr. Liland Estacion, in a press conference at the Capitol building here on Wednesday, confirmed that Barangay Bal-os now has 25 cases; Poblacion — 14; Inapoy — 31; and Tara — 28 cases.

Five deaths have so far been reported — two in Basay, and one each in Dumaguete, Sibulan, and Manjuyod.

Interventions are underway to include entomologic surveys in said barangays, massive clean-up drives, assemblies, mosquito net impregnation activities, distribution of treated screens to schools, house to house visitation of health workers from the barangays, from the rural health units and from the integrated provincial health office.

Estacion said the campaign against dengue is a team approach that starts with the family, the community, and the entire populace.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...