DENR stops ‘treasure hunt’ in North Cotabato

KIDAPAWAN CITY — A local environment officer in Makilala town, North Cotabato, has reminded local residents that unauthorized digging is prohibited by law, especially if it endangers life and destroys the environment.

Makilala’s Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Office (MENRO) Engr. Walter Ruizo issued the reminder as he ordered Wednesday a farm owner to “cease and desist” from digging activity in Sitio Malaang, Barangay Poblacion.

Ruizo said residents in the area alerted his office after they were alarmed by the digging activity that has not been permitted by the local government.

Ruizo, together with Chief Insp. Johnny Rick Medel, Makilala town police chief, and Forest Ranger Avelino Banac went to the village and found a 20-meter-deep excavation on a lot owned by 45-year-old Cristina Escoto.

He said the dug area is about 20 meters from the riverbank and had no permits issued by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources and the local government of Makilala.

Ruizo said they were tipped about the treasure hunting on the lot owned by Escoto, who denied there was such activity on her property. Escoto admitted the family was responsible for the digging using a backhoe, but only to make a swimming pool.

Ruizo cited Presidential Decree 1067, which prohibits treasure hunting in the so-called “riparian zone,” the interface between land and a river or stream river banks.

“Such digging may trigger soil erosion or landslides,” he said, adding the owner agreed to stop the digging activity and return the dug soil. ( Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...