DepEd officially opens SY 2021-2022

The Department of Education (DepEd) on Monday (Sep. 13) officially opened the school year 2021-2022.

In a virtual program, DepEd Sec. Leonor Briones expressed her gratitude towards the “success in opening classes for the second year in the time of COVID.”

“Last year, I declared victory with the opening of classes on October 5, 2020. Today, September 13, 2021, DepEd celebrates with great joy its success in opening classes for the second year in the time of COVID. We opened classes last year. We successfully ended them. Now we are opening another school year. Isn’t that success worthy of celebration in the light of all our challenges?”

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte also lauded the department in pushing to provide quality education amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

“To our dear teachers, I hope that you’ll remain dedicated to your sworn profession and lead more of our young citizens towards a better and brighter future. I wish you good luck and mabuhay kayong lahat.”

Meanwhile, the Teachers’ Dignity Coalition believes that the “system is not prepared for the opening of classes,” but the teachers will still comply with the department.

“We believe that the system is not prepared for the opening of classes, however our teachers will comply. We, therefore, appeal to the DepEd leadership to call for a genuine consultation with all stakeholders, including but not limited to, the teachers sector.”

The group appealed to the DepEd to consult the said matter with the stakeholders including the teachers’ group.

However, Briones responded that they are “as ready as ready can be.”

“We are as ready as ready can be…We have learned it’s not as if we would repeat again and again and again the same situation which we have dealt with last year.”

In the recent data of DepEd, more than 24.6 million students have enrolled for SY 2021-2022, but it can still increase since the enrollment was extended until Sep. 30.

Report from Kenneth Paciente/NGS-rir

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...