DepEd Sec. Briones tests positive for COVID-19

Department of Education (DepEd) Secretary Leonor Briones disclosed on Thursday she tested positive for COVID-19 but remains asymptomatic and is on isolation.

Briones said in her statement that she was informed by the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) on April 8 that she is positive for SARS-COV-2.

The DepEd Chief revealed she has been tested twice. The first one was on March 13 when some of her Execom members were exposed to a COVID-19 patient. The result released on March 16 showed she tested negative.

“Last April 2, I had myself tested again after another Cabinet member announced that he was tested and declared positive. He and I attended an urgent and critical meeting of select Cabinet officials on March 23. My test result, as I said, was positive,” Briones added.

The 79-year-old Secretary assured she will continue working online and “make all decisions necessary to keep DepEd in full operation.”

DepEd USec and Chief of Staff of the Secretary Nepomuceno Malaluan shared Briones will be closely monitored while in isolation.

“At the proper time, she may address you directly through videoconference, after we have made the technical arrangements at her isolation area Malaluan said.

Meanwhile, Malacaῆang said they
are saddened by the news and praying for the healing of Briones.

“Sec. Briones has been an indefatigable and conscientious member of the Cabinet. As expected and as announced by her, she will continue to perform her duties as Education Secretary while in isolation and despite her present illness,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...