DFA: 78 Filipinos duped to work in scam hubs released in Myanmar

Department of Foreign Affairs (Photo courtesy of DFA / PNA)

By Joyce Ann Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

Myanmar has released 78 Filipinos who were detained for immigration-related offenses after being trafficked for employment in scam hubs in the country.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Saturday night said all nationals were employed in scam centers in Myanmar and had been serving sentences for illegal entry and residency.

“The Department expresses its appreciation to Myanmar authorities for this compassionate and humanitarian gesture, made during the Myanmar New Year (Thingyan), which reflects the goodwill between Myanmar and the Philippines,” it said in a statement.

The Philippine Embassy in Yangon, it said, is currently facilitating the “prompt, safe and orderly repatriation of the 78 Filipinos to the Philippines, in coordination with Myanmar authorities.”

“The Department reaffirms its foreign policy pillar of protecting Filipino nationals overseas, in collaboration with the Department of Migrant Workers, and will continue to work with relevant law enforcement agencies toward the prosecution of illegal recruiters of Filipinos  trafficked for illegal jobs abroad,” the DFA added.

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) earlier warned Filipinos against illegal “backdoor” exit schemes amid the continued repatriation of trafficking victims.

Recently, a 24-year-old Filipino woman was successfully repatriated after being coerced into working as a love scam operator in Myanmar.

The victim departed the country on May 31 last year via boat from Tawi-Tawi, passing through Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, and Kuala Lumpur before reaching Phnom Penh and Bavet in Cambodia.

She disclosed that she was recruited online through Telegram for a supposed receptionist position in Myanmar, with a promised salary ranging from USD900 to USD1,200.

She was later sold to another company, where she was again forced to engage in scam activities for additional months.

The victim said she traveled by boat with several unidentified Filipinos who departed for Myanmar through illegal routes. (PNA)

Popular

ADB commits addt’l funding to support PH gov’t efforts amid Mideast conflict

By Brian Campued The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has committed $1.75 billion in additional financing to support the Philippine government’s efforts in managing fiscal pressures...

Luzon, Visayas grids remain under red, yellow alerts this May 15

By Brian Campued Power interruptions are still likely over parts of Luzon and Visayas this Friday as both power grids remain under red and yellow...

PBBM brings ‘Bawat Bayan Makikinabang’ program in Pampanga

By Brian Campued As part of the administration’s efforts to strengthen local government units (LGUs) and extend assistance to the grassroots, President Ferdinand R. Marcos...

New Pampanga hospital to boost health care services in Central Luzon

By Brian Campued As part of government efforts to strengthen the public health care system and bring medical services closer to Filipinos, President Ferdinand R....