DILG serves dismissal order of Ilocos Norte town mayor, administrator

DISMISSAL ORDER POSTED. Employees of the Department of Interior and Local Government post the dismissal order against Paoay Mayor Jessie Galano and municipal administrator Bruno Dumlao on the door of Office of the Mayor on Thursday afternoon (June15, 2018). (Photo by Leilani Adriano)

LAOAG CITY — Representatives of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Region 1 (Ilocos) served a dismissal order against Paoay Mayor Jessie Galano and municipal administrator Bruno Dumlao on Thursday afternoon.

Served by Lawyer Joseph Apolonio, Legal Officer of the DILG Region 1, the dismissal order came from the Office of the Ombudsman after Galano and Dumlao were found guilty of grave abuse of authority, gross neglect of duty, grave misconduct and serious dishonesty over the falsification of travel documents worth more than PHP25,000 in a case filed in 2015.

However, the DILG officers failed to locate both Galano and Dumlao in their offices prompting Apolonio’s group to go to the mayor’s house.

However, the DILG representative was told by the neighbors that the mayor and Dumlao were in Manila.

Apolonio then returned to mayor’s office and posted the dismissal order on the door.

The order of dismissal from the service carries the accessory penalties of perpetual disqualification from holding public office, cancellation of civil service eligibility and bar from taking the civil service examination, said Apolonio in an interview.

Meanwhile, Galano’s camp has filed a motion for reconsideration at the Court of Appeals.

The Philippine News Agency (PNA) previously tried to get the mayor’s reaction on the charges but he preferred to keep silent upon the advice of his lawyer.

Should the Ombudsman’s decision be reversed, Apolonio said there is a probability that the mayor may return to serve.

In 2015, then-Paoay town mayor Dolores Clemente filed administrative charges against then-vice mayor Galano and Sangguniang Bayan member Bruno Dumlao in violation of Republic Act No. 6713 or Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public Officials and Employees and Republic Act No. 7160 or The Local Government Code.

By law of succession, Vice Mayor Eileen Guerrero immediately assumed as the new mayor of Paoay town and Senior Sangguniang Bayan member Larry Abundo as the new vice mayor. (Leilanie Adriano/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...