DILG: Village execs not holding assembly to face sanctions

By Lilian Mellejor/PNA

Alex Roldan, director of the Department of the Interior and Local Government-Region 11 (DILG), explains the importance of holding the Barangay General Assembly during a press conference on Friday. (PNA photo by Lilian C Mellejor)

DAVAO CITY – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) warned barangay officials they will face administrative sanctions should they fail to hold two mandatory general assemblies this year.

DILG mandates that the general assembly be held in March and October, where the barangay officials are required to report their accomplishments.

Lawyer Limuel Limbaro, DILG-11 legal officer designate said Monday barangay officials may face administrative sanctions for dereliction of duty if they violate the rule.

Limbaro said residents age 15 and above may attend the barangay assembly.

DILG-11 Director Alex Roldan said on Friday that the holding of a general assembly is mandated under Section 397 of the Local Government Code of 1991.

In October last year, President Rodrigo Duterte signed Proclamation No. 599 declaring Saturdays and Sundays of March and October of every year as Barangay assembly days.

Roldan said officials are required to report their accomplishments and financial report for the second semester of 2018; newly-enacted barangay ordinances, plans, programs and projects for 2019; compliance on national laws and issuances such as functionality of anti-drug council, segregation and collection of solid wastes and the creation of Barangay Ecological Solid Waste Management Committee, and the organization of barangay-based institutions like the development council, peace and order council for the protection children, and the violence against women’s desk.

Barangay captains are also encouraged to deliver their State of the Barangay Address (SOBA). A report from the DILG central office showed that 40,613 or 96.61 percent of 42,029 barangays nationwide conducted Barangay Assembly in October 2018.

Roldan also encouraged residents to actively participate in the assembly and check the schedule that may be posted at the barangay hall.

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...