Diokno optimistic of further rise in gov’t spending

MANILA — Budget and Management Secretary Benjamin Diokno is optimistic about further increase of government spending but sees the budget deficit will not hit the three percent of gross domestic product (GDP) target.

“Most likely we’ll be below the target… but higher than last year,” he said.

In the first nine months this year, the budget gap reached PHP378.2 billion, 78 percent higher than the PHP213.1 billion same period last year but 5 percent short compared to the PHP396.6 billion programmed for the first three quarters of this year.

In 2017, the government’s budget deficit reached PHP350.637 billion, about 2.2 percent of domestic output.

The government is firm in increasing its spending, especially on infrastructure investments, as it bids to sustain above 6 percent growth of the domestic economy.

Citing Department of Budget and Management data, Diokno said as of Oct. 25, the agency released about 95.5 percent of the allocations for this year, higher than the 90.1 percent released in end-October 2017.

Under the government’s massive infrastructure program called “Build, Build, Build”, it plans to spend at least PHP8 trillion until President Rodrigo Duterte’s term ends in 2022.

Diokno said he is in constant communication with Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar and Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade regarding the implementation of various infrastructure programs of the government. (Joann Villanueva/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...