Displaced workers in Palawan undergo labor orientation

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY, Palawan — Some 3,300 people in seven municipalities in Palawan who lost their jobs due to typhoons in December last year are undergoing labor orientation to help them find work.

“This is to support Palaweños who lost their jobs due to typhoons in December 2017. We requested the DOLE (Department of Labor and Employment) to provide funds for this and more than PHP10 million was approved,” program manager of the provincial Public Employment Services Office (PESO), Richard Rebote, said Wednesday.

Rebote said the 3,300 are beneficiaries of the “Tulong panghanap-buhay Para sa Ating Displaced workers” (TUPAD) initiated by DOLE, in partnership with the provincial government of Palawan.

He said the labor orientation began on April 3 in three southern Palawan towns, and will be held in Aborlan, Narra, and Sofronio Española, Brooke’s Point, Bataraza, and Quezon and Rizal until April 5.

Rebote said the beneficiaries of TUPAD in the province were identified by the Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office to ensure they were directly affected by tropical disturbances Vinta, Urduja and Agaton.

After the orientation, he said the TUPAD beneficiaries may either work as road and canal cleaners, tree planters, repairmen of public facilities, and other jobs beneficial to communities.

They will be paid PHP300 per day or PHP3,000 for 10 days under the cash-for-work program this month.

“Through this, we will be able to help the families of the displaced workers, who were also victims of calamities until they are able to return to their normal lives,” Rebote said. (Celeste Anna Formoso/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...