DOH-12 records 18 firecracker-related injuries

COTABATO CITY — Hours before the New Year ushers in, the Department of Health (DOH) in Region 12 reported 18 cases of firecracker-related injuries Sunday.

Jenny Ventura, DOH-12 “Iwas Paputok” campaign focal person, said as of 6 a.m. Sunday (December 31) 18 persons were reported hurt by firecrackers in the provinces of North Cotabato, South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani and the cities of Cotabato, Kidapawan, Tacurong, Koronadal and General Santos.

The DOH monitoring on firecracker-related injuries started on December 21.

Ventura said the figure is 5 percent lower during the same period last year.

South Cotabato had the highest number of firecracker victims with 11, three in North Cotabato, two in Sarangani, one each in Sultan Kudarat and Gen. Santos City.

Ventura said 17 of the victims were male and one female. Twelve of whom were children and six were adults.

She said that four had eye injuries and one victim had to undergo amputation on one of his toes. Of the number of victims, five used legal and government recognize firecracker while 13 used illegal firecrackers like “kwitis,” “piccolo,” “5-star,” “boga,” and “triangle.”

Five remained in the hospital while 13 were sent home, Ventura said.

The latest incidents of firecracker-related injuries came despite massive information campaign regarding the use and control of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices.

The drive aims to lessen if not totally eliminate the incidence of firecracker-related injuries or death and damage to properties during the holiday celebrations. Monitoring period is from December 21- January 4.

Through this year’s theme “OPLAN: Iwas Paputok, Fireworks Display ang Patok! Makiisa sa Fireworks Display sa Inyong Lugar,” DOH-12 asked local government units to organize community fireworks to ensure the use of safer alternative noise-makers in welcoming the holiday season.

Ventura remained hopeful that with the public’s cooperation the number of victims will be reduced than the previous years.

President Rodrigo Duterte on June 20 this year signed Executive Order No. 28 regulating the use of firecrackers and establishing community fireworks display. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...