DOH cautions vs. eating salty, fatty, sweet dishes during holidays

SOUGHT-AFTER. Vendors at “lechon” (roast pig) capital La Loma in Quezon City say Monday (Dec. 9, 2024) that their sales increased by at least 30 percent last week and they expect more as parties are being held left and right. At the same time, health officials warned against consuming too much sweet, fatty, and salty food. (PNA photo by Joan Bondoc)

By Ma. Teresa Montemayor | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Health (DOH) on Monday reminded Filipinos to observe caution when consuming foods with too much salt, fats, and sugar during this season of festivities.

DOH Spokesperson Assistant Secretary Albert Domingo said these types of food can cause high blood pressure, diabetes, and other non-communicable diseases like obesity, which could result in heart problems.

“Kapag tumaas ang presyon ng dugo, habang tumatagal lalo na kung matanda, actually hindi nga matagal eh, mabilis na baka maputukan ng ugat, nagkakaroon tayo ng stroke na sinasabi sa utak,” he said.

“Iyong matatabang pagkain na kinakain natin nagbabara iyan ‘no, nagiging cholesterol plaques sa ating mga ugat sa puso at iyon ‘yung magiging sanhi noong tinatawag na heart attack,” he added.

The DOH urges Filipinos to observe a healthy Christmas by eating the right foods, exercising regularly, and practicing discipline for healthy behaviors.

To avoid the dangers of food poisoning, the DOH reminded Filipinos to observe the best practices when cooking food to be served at family gatherings and parties.

Domingo said it is important that fresh ingredients—vegetables, fish, and meats—are used in cooking dishes.

When taking home foods from parties, he said to choose those that have been grilled or fried over those with soup and sauces.

“Mas madali kasing mapanis iyong may sarsa,” he said.

Proper serving and storage also play an important role in food spoilage.

He noted food dishes may be covered and placed inside the refrigerator once cooled off to extend shelf life.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...