DOH confirms 8 measles cases in Western Visayas

ILOILO CITY — The Department of Health 6 (Western Visayas) on Thursday confirmed eight cases of measles in the region.

Dr. Mary Jane Roches G. Juanico, DOH-6 Child Health Team Leader, said that the number is part of the 32 reported cases in the region from January to February this year.

Of the eight confirmed cases, the province of Antique has the highest with four cases, of which two are in San Jose town and one in each town of Culasi and Tibiao; three in Iloilo province, one case each in the towns of Guimbal, Miag-ao and Lambunao; and one case from Cauayan, Negros Occidental.

Juanico said that they are still waiting for the laboratory results of the 23 remaining suspected cases. One suspected case was already confirmed negative.

Juanico said that the provincial government of Antique already declared a measles outbreak last week.

Juanico said they are still waiting for the guidelines from the DOH central office when they could declare an outbreak in an area, although she clarified that they cannot declare a measles outbreak in the whole region.

“So far, the cases are isolated, one per municipality. We are trying to review now if we already need to declare an outbreak,” she added.

“It is either per municipality or per province. It will depend on the extent of number of cases in the area.” she added.

Among the signs of measles is high fever, runny nose, cough, red and watery eyes, and small white spots inside the cheeks, Juanico said.

“The rash will erupt after several days particularly on the face and upper neck and may spread to the hands and feet,” she said.

Meanwhile, she said that the municipal health workers are now intensifying their efforts to look for individuals experiencing fever and rashes so it could be reported immediately.

She added that they are starting to conduct a catch-up immunization for children to respond to the health concern. (Cindy Ferrer/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...