DOH exec: Face shield may be removed outdoors

A Department of Health (DOH) official on Wednesday said face shields may be removed in outdoor settings where transmission is “very low.”

During the June 16 Laging Handa briefing, DOH Undersecretary Leopoldo Vega said face shields are required when indoors, especially where there is face-to-face interaction among individuals.

“Pero kapag nasa outside naman, kasi alam naman natin ang risk of transmission is very low, at lalung-lalo na kapag naglalakad ka lang sa kalye o kaya nagtatrabaho kasi mag-a-affect iyong moist nito… pwede ninyo hong tanggalin iyan,” Vega said.

“Pero kapag pumasok kayo sa mga indoors ho, kailangan may face shields kasi ito iyong added protection na hindi kayo maka-transmit o mahawaan kayo,” he added.

The DOH on April 8 released Memorandum No. 2020-05341 which exempts from using face shields “individuals engaged in strenuous activities/work, fine workmanship, operation of transportation vehicles, and active transport.”

Several lawmakers and local leaders previously questioned the mandatory wearing of face shields, saying it is only an added financial burden to the public and that there is lack of evidence to support its effectiveness. 

Meanwhile, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advised to regularly disinfect protective equipment such as face shields by using gloves and a clean cloth or wipes with detergent solution. – Report from Sweeden Velado-Ramirez / AG – jlo

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...