DOH points out importance of contact tracing amid COVID-19 pandemic

The Department of Health (DOH) emphasized one of the government measures to fight COVID-19 is the boosting of contact tracing efforts.

DOH USec. Maria Rosario Vergeire explained that individuals who may have been infected by the disease are isolated through contact tracing to prevent further spread of the virus.

As of May 14, there are 38,315 contact tracers in the country. The DOH recognized contact tracing efforts of the local government of Cebu which has one of the highest COVID-19 cases in the country at 1,749 where 95 percent are asymptomatic. Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella said the high number of confirmed cases is a result of their strategic mass testing.

“After the tracing, if we found patients positive but asymptomatic, we place them in what we call as our barangay isolation centers. We have about 3,000 or 2,638 tents for our barangay isolation centers,” Labella said.

Meanwhile, Baguio City considers every second important in its contact tracing to prevent further spread of the virus. Mayor Benjamin Magalong shared one of their strategies is the strict coordination of health workers with police personnel, and quality information from the people. Difficulties and hindrances came up when they started the establishment of contact tracing since their personnel in training were also investigating some cases.

He added that “now is the right time” for local government units that have no positive cases yet to “establish their capability in contact tracing.”

As of May 19, the DOH announced the total number of confirmed cases in the country has reached 12,942 after 224 new cases were reported. The recovery tally has increased to 2,843 after 114 patients recovered; while the death toll has soared to 837 after six patients died.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...