DOH records 8% drop in dengue cases nationwide in mid-October

FIGHT AGAINST DENGUE. Fogging and misting operations were conducted by the Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office in several households. (Photo courtesy of Manila DRRMO)

By Brian Campued

The Department of Health (DOH) has recorded a total of 21,097 dengue cases across the country from Sept. 29–Oct. 12, 2024—an 8% decline compared to two weeks prior.

Based on DOH data, at least 23,032 cases were reported from Sept. 15–28, bringing the total caseload to 314,785 as of October 2024.

However, three regions recorded an increase in dengue cases from the previous monitoring period: National Capital Region (from 2,765 cases to 3,002 cases); Central Luzon (from 2,219 cases to 2,351 cases); and Calabarzon (from 2,907 cases to 3,513 cases).

The case fatality rate (CFR) for this year, as of Oct. 26, is 0.26%, lower than the 0.34% CFR during the same period last year.

The health department attributed this decline in CFR to “better health-seeking practices” of Filipinos as well as the improved healthcare system in the country.

“Hindi dapat tayo maging kampante dahil patuloy ang pag-ulan sa panahong ito. Ang ugnayan ng DOH at mga lokal na pamahalaan ay mahalaga para masigurong napananatili sa mga komunidad ang mga paraan para mapuksa ang dengue,” Health Secretary Teodoro Herbosa said.

The DOH chief also urged the public to continue following protocols against dengue, including regular destruction of mosquito breeding grounds and using mosquito repellants, among others—especially with the rainy season likely increasing the number of mosquito breeding sites.

“Kapag nakaranas ng lagnat, pananakit ng ulo, pananakit ng tiyan, mga pantal o iba pang sintomas, kumonsulta agad sa doktor o health center para mailigtas sa kamatayan o sa mas malalang kaso ng dengue ang pasyente,” Herbosa said, assuring that hospitals are well-prepared to manage cases effectively.

—av

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...