DOH reports 4 cases of ‘walking pneumonia’ as of Nov. 25

Department of Health (Photo courtesy of DOH / PNA)

By Ma. Teresa Montemayor | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday reported four confirmed cases of mycoplasma pneumoniae infection or “walking pneumonia” among recorded influenza-like illness (ILI) cases as of Nov. 25.

“These cases have been reported in the previous morbidity weeks 3, 30, 37, and 38, with one case each. The existing surveillance is among ILI cases only,” the DOH said in a message to reporters.

Mycoplasma pneumoniae is not a new pathogen and it has been previously detected among local cases.

Children infected with this type of pneumonia do not feel sick enough to lay on the bed to rest, thus the term “walking” pneumonia.

Latest DOH data showed that ILI cases nationwide started to increase during late August on morbidity week 34 and a higher number of cases was sustained over the next several weeks.

“However, the case increase has started to slow down with a total of 9,834 ILI cases reported in the recent three to four weeks or morbidity weeks 44 to 45 (Oct. 29 to Nov. 11, 2023), about 11 percent lower than the 11,106 cases reported two weeks prior. Based on the five-year data, ILI cases are expected to continue declining in the coming weeks but are expected to rise again by the start of January,” the DOH said.

The public is encouraged to perform individual self-assessment and employs layers of protection — masking, ensuring adequate ventilation, isolating when sick, as well as getting vaccinated and boosted — to prevent respiratory infections from further increasing, especially this holiday season. (PNA)

Popular

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...

Russian vlogger harassing Filipinos nabbed

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Authorities arrested a Russian-American vlogger who was accused of harassing Filipinos apparently for social media content. Philippine National...

Myanmar quake victim rescued after 5 days as aid calls grow

By Agence France-Presse Rescuers on Wednesday, April 2, pulled a man alive from the rubble five days after Myanmar's devastating earthquake, as calls grew for...