DOJ: OGCC to review Nayong Pilipino’s ‘flawed’ contract

MANILA — Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra has ordered the Office of the Corporate Government Counsel (OGCC) to review the lease contract that Nayong Pilipino Foundation, Inc. (NPFI) had entered into with Landing Resorts Philippines Development Corp. (LRPDC).

Guevarra’s order came after President Rodrigo Duterte instructed the Department of Justice (DOJ) to review the contract, which the President has described as “flawed”.

“I have instructed the office of the government counsel, as statutory counsel of all Government-Owned and -Controlled Corporations (GOCC), under the direct supervision of the Department of Justice, to immediately review all the relevant facts and re-evaluate and examine all contracts, agreements, and other documents pertaining to this questioned transaction, including the legal opinions previously rendered by the Office of the Government Corporate Counsel to its client, Nayong Pilipino Foundation, Inc., and to submit a report with recommendations on the proper course of action for the government as soon as possible,” Guevarra said in a text message sent to the Philippine News Agency (PNA) late Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Duterte fired all members of the NPFI board and management due to a lease deal that the Chief Executive called “gravely disadvantageous” to the government.

Under the lease contract, the LRPDC, a subsidiary of Hong Kong’s Landing International Development Ltd., will reportedly develop a USD1.5-billion casino-resort in the NPFI property at Entertainment City in Parañaque City.

The groundbreaking ceremony was held on the same day that Duterte sacked the entire NPFI board and management.

On May 2, Maria Fema Duterte, a distant relative of the President, filed criminal and administrative complaints against her fellow NPFI board members, including chairperson Patricia Yvette Ocampo, before the Office of the Ombudsman in connection with Nayong Pilipino’s lease contract with LRPDC.

Maria Fema alleged that the amount of the contract was disadvantageous to the government which, she said, stands to lose PHP25 billion in 50 years.

She and the respondents are all presidential appointees.

The NPFI is a GOCC attached to the Department of Tourism. (Christopher Lloyd Caliwan/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...