DOJ provides legal aid to 11,833 persons in 2017

MANILA — Close to 12, 000 people were given legal assistance through the Department of Justice Action Center (DOJAC) in 2017.

Justice Undersecretary Erickson Balmes said the DOJAC has served a total of 11,883 clients last year.

Out of the number, 5,147 walk-in clients were accommodated, 771 requests through phone-calls were acted upon, 1,312 requests were referred to other offices and agencies for appropriate action, 758 legal documents were prepared while, 1,912 regular mails and 1,983 electronic mails were replied to.

Apart from this, the DOJAC also extended assistance to 956 senior citizens, 207 clients with gender-sensitivity issues and 66 persons with disabilities (PWDs).

Balmes explained the DOJAC was created to extend various legal assistance to the people, especially those belonging to the marginalized sector, who send their requests or complaints personally or through phone-calls, letters or e-mails.

“The DOJ remains committed to bring the Department closer to the people, as it continues to provide legal assistance to the public through the DOJ Action Center,” Balmes said in a statement.

It was earlier established on February 28, 1985 as a Public Assistance Center.

Then, it was renamed the Public Assistance and Complaints Unit on May 3, 1989.

It became DOJAC pursuant to Department Order No. 204 issued on June, 22 1995. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...