DOLE eyes 5.5K for special job program in west Visayas

By Perla Lena/PNA

ILOILO CITY — Some 5,566 poor but deserving students from Western Visayas are expected to benefit from the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) made available by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) in partnership with local government units (LGUs) and private establishments.

Niezel Anen T. Sabrido, DOLE 6 (Western Visayas) information officer, said that to date they already have placed 196 students — 181 in Capiz and 15 in Iloilo.

“All our field offices have also conducted pledging sessions and related activities to make sure that the target is met before the semester and the year ends,” she said.

SPES is an employment bridging program during summer and Christmas vacation to augment the family income of poor but deserving students, out-of-school youths, and dependents of displaced or would-be displaced workers who want to finish their education.

For those employed in government offices, they are usually tasked to assist in office works.

The number of days that they have to render duty varies although it usually lasts from 20 to 52 days. The DOLE pays 40 percent of their salary while the employer pays for the remaining 60 percent based on the prevailing minimum wage.

This year, DOLE has allotted about PHP20 million for its counterpart in the program, Sabrido said.

“We are now starting because we have an exemption from the Comelec (Commission on Elections) for the implementation of the program this election season,” she added.

Last year, DOLE-6 was able to place 11,602 students, Sabrido said.

Those who are interested to apply are encouraged to check with the nearest Public Employment Service Office. They may bring with them a photocopy of the Philippine Statistics Authority birth certificate, their latest report card, 2×2 ID picture, and certificate of indigency from their barangays.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...