DOLE readies TUPAD for ‘Odette’-hit regions

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is providing emergency employment to 25,000 informal sector workers affected by typhoon ‘Odette,’ which ravaged provinces in the Visayas and Mindanao last week.

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III on Wednesday (Dec. 22) allocated P100 million for the flagship cash-for-work Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced (TUPAD) Workers to hardest-hit regions. The areas include Western, Central, and Eastern Visayas; Northern Mindanao; and Caraga regions.

Each region will receive P20 million for the emergency employment of 5,000 beneficiaries, Bello said.

“Workers, particularly those in the informal sector, will be given emergency employment for 10 days. They will help in clearing, de-clogging of canals, debris segregation, materials recovery, and other activities needed in the rehabilitation of their communities. Through this engagement, they will not only earn money but also help rebuild their lives and locality,” Bello said.

To determine the eligible beneficiaries, Bureau of Workers with Special Concerns Director Ma. Karina Perida-Trayvilla said the DOLE will be profiling those affected by the calamity.

“The TUPAD program is institutionalized. This is what we implement every time there is a calamity, typhoon, and disaster, including man-made calamities. We will profile those affected by the calamity, particularly our informal sector workers,” Trayvilla said.

Amid the ongoing pandemic and the devastation caused by calamities, Bello stressed the labor department is intensifying the implementation of its emergency employment program.

“TUPAD is a significant amelioration program. Every time we attend pay-out ceremonies, I can see the happiness and pride in our beneficiaries. Because these are not dole-outs, these are jobs that we provide them,” Bello said.

A community-based amelioration program, TUPAD provides emergency employment for displaced, underemployed, and seasonal workers for a minimum period of 10 days to a maximum of 30 days, depending on the nature of work to be performed.

The salary of beneficiaries is based on the prevailing minimum wage in the region and is coursed through a money remittance service provider. (DOLE) – bny

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...