DOT eyes to increase tourism volume from US

Passengers use the e-gates as they arrive at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) (PNA file photo by Cristina Arayata)

By Gabriela Baron

The Department of Tourism (DOT) said it is eyeing to increase tourism volume from the United States (US) to the Philippines.

During the Listening Tour with Travel Trade Stakeholders in Los Angeles, California on Friday, April 21, DOT Secretary Christina Frasco expressed her gratitude to American tourism industry stakeholders.

“I am very grateful for the US market and our airline and travel tour partners because throughout the challenges that we have faced since reopening [in] February last year, it was the US that delivered for us and saw us through being our number one source market,” Frasco said.

“Recognizing the huge potential that there is and can still be for this market, as well as the future partnership that we can have in various endeavors concerning the growth of the tourism industry, we are here today to listen to you to understand truly how we would be able to uplift the Philippines’ standing in the [Association of Southeast Asian Nations] and the world,” she added.

In 2022, the US clinched the top spot of Philippines’ source markets, tallying over 500,000 visitor arrivals to the country.

As of April 21, the country already had 304,289 arrivals from the US, making up 17.91% of the total international visits in the first quarter of 2023. – cf

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...