DOT: More long weekends to boost tourism sector in 2024

President Ferdinan R. Marcos Jr. and Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco during the roundtable meeting with tourism stakeholders in Japan organized by the Department of Tourism (DOT) as part of the President’s activities for his five-day official visit to Tokyo, Feb. 9, 2023. (Photo courtesy of DOT)

By Brian Jules Campued

The anticipated series of long weekends spread throughout the year is expected to further boost the country’s tourism industry, the Department of Tourism (DOT) said.

In a statement released on Friday, Jan. 5, Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco lauded President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr.’s recent announcement of the list of extended holiday breaks and encouraged the public to use this opportunity to travel around the country.

“In these upcoming extended weekends, I strongly encourage fellow Filipinos to seize the opportunity and embark on journeys that will create lasting memories with family and friends. As you enjoy our idyllic beaches and mountainscapes, delve into the vibrant tapestry of our culture, food, and traditions as well,” Frasco said.

The tourism chief cited the resurgence of the travel industry in the country with the recorded number of over five million international visitor arrivals last year.

She likewise noted that “there’s an overwhelming sense of enthusiasm among travelers eager to make up for lost time, engaging in what has come to be known as ‘revenge travel’.”

Additionally, domestic travel contributed to the continuous recovery of the entire tourism sector in the Philippines.

The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) recorded over 102 million domestic trips across the country in 2022 alone.

Of the total P1.87 trillion in internal tourism expenditure that year, inclusive of spending by foreign visitors and Filipinos residing abroad, about P1.5 trillion came from domestic tourism spending.

“As the nation embraces these extended weekends with open arms, the hope remains high for a vibrant transformation of the tourism sector and a profound appreciation for the manifold wonders encapsulated within the Philippines’ diverse landscape,” the tourism secretary said.

President Marcos declared the regular holidays and special non-working days in 2024 through the Proclamation No. 368 signed by Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Oct. 11, 2023.

Of this list, Filipinos will enjoy the first long weekend beginning March 28 (Maundy Thursday) until April 1 (Easter Sunday), while another long break will take place from Aug. 24, a regular Saturday weekend, to Aug. 26, which is the observance of National Heroes Day.

The public will also get another holiday break from Nov. 1 (All Saints’ Day) to Nov. 3, as Nov. 2 is also declared as a special non-working day in observance of All Souls’ Day.

A year-end break awaits for most people starting from Dec. 28 (Saturday) to Dec. 31 (Tuesday), since Dec. 30 is Rizal Day, while Dec. 31 is also declared as a special non-working day. – cf

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...