DOTr eyes Feb. 27 Metro Manila subway launch

by Aerol John Pateña/PNA

MANILA — The launching of the Metro Manila Subway is set to be held by late February, an official of the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said Friday.

“February 27 is the date of the groundbreaking of Metro Manila Subway,” DOTr Assistant Secretary Goddess Hope Libiran said in an interview with the Philippine News Agency (PNA).

The proposed subway system envisioned to traverse from Mindanao Avenue in Quezon City to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Parañaque City is seen to ease traffic congestion in Metro Manila.

Earlier, Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said the DOTr is eyeing the groundbreaking of the subway system within this month after several delays.

The project groundbreaking was initially scheduled last December but was later moved to January.

Tugade said the delays were mostly due to scheduling issues of the parties involved.

“Next Tuesday I will be going to Tokyo to inspect the boring machine and then I’ll fly to Osaka for a high-level meeting between the Philippines and the Japanese government,” Tugade said in an interview with reporters this week.

The Metro Manila Subway aims to have partial operations with three stations: North Avenue, Mindanao Avenue, and Tandang Sora by 2022 and have its full operations in 2025.

The Philippine and Japanese governments signed a loan agreement for the subway project with the initial tranche amounting to PHP51.37 billion (104.5 billion Japanese yen) in March last year.

The first phase of the 25-kilometer underground railway, which has an estimated cost of PHP356.96 billion, will have a total of 14 stations from Mindanao Avenue to NAIA.

The succeeding phases will involve extending the subway system to San Jose del Monte, Bulacan and Dasmariñas, Cavite.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...