
By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet
At the sidelines of BizNews Asia’s 23rd anniversary on Monday (Nov. 25), Department of Transportation (DOTr) Secretary Jaime Bautista said that the operations and maintenance (O&M) of key regional airports, the MRT-3 railway line, the EDSA Busway, and the Davao Public Transport Modernization Program (DPTMP) are bound to be turned over to the private sector to ensure operational efficiency, adding that the O&M transfer of airports in Iloilo and Puerto Princesa will soon be set into motion.
“Ang mga kasunod na for [O&M] privatization, within next month we will award another airport, which is the Bohol-Panglao International Airport. Next year, we’re looking at privatizing Iloilo and Puerto Princesa Airports,” Sec. Bautista said, adding that the operator of Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) also recently signed the concession agreement for the O&M of the Laguindingan Airport.
Meanwhile, the transport chief said his Department had already received an unsolicited proposal for the MRT-3 line, adding that the agency is looking at a solicited proposal for the project.
Sec. Bautista explained that with limited government resources, the DOTr is taking advantage of the investment opportunities from the private sector, which will result in the rail line’s operational efficiency and capacity expansion.
“’’Yong railway operations kasi, maraming dapat i-implement na programs. Kailangan din i-improve ’yong mga train systems natin. Sila [private sector] ang mag-iimprove ng existing system—magkakaro’n ng bagong trains, rolling stocks at mas mapapalaki natin ang capacity ng MRT-3,” Sec. Bautista said.
Once the private sector has taken over the MRT-3’s operations and management, the rail line’s capacity will increase to 500,000 passengers daily from the current 350,000 passenger threshold; the DOTr chief added that the railway line’s O&M transfer may be completed by mid-year 2025.
-iro