DOTr logs rise in PUV consolidation applications before deadline

puv
BACK ON THE ROAD. It’s still business as usual for a jeepney terminal at the corner of Agoncillo and Pedro Gil Streets in Malate, Manila on Tuesday (Jan. 2, 2024). Traditional jeepneys with unconsolidated franchises will be allowed to operate until Jan. 31 in routes where the consolidation rate under the modernization program is below 60 percent. (PNA photo by Yancy Lim)

By Raymond Carl Dela Cruz | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) on Wednesday reported a “significant” increase in applications for consolidation in public transportation.

In a statement, the DOTr attributed the increase in applications to a resolution from the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) that allowed applicants to beat the deadline without payment of necessary fees.

However, it called on these applicants to settle these fees for them to be included in the final consolidation report.

“In the meantime that the figures are being finalized, all unconsolidated PUVs (public utility vehicles) may continue operating until Jan. 31, 2024. The LTFRB will issue an appropriate resolution to give effect to this instruction,” the DOTr said.

Under LTFRB Memorandum Circular (MC) 2023-051 signed on Dec. 14, 2023, all consolidated transport service entities and individual operators with filed applications for consolidation before the deadline are allowed to continue operating under their existing provisional authority (PA).

However, all PAs issued to individual operators that have not filed for consolidation are deemed “revoked” effective January 2024 and their previously authorized PUVs are now unregistered.

Last Dec. 29, LTFRB Technical Division chief Joel Bolano said more than 60 percent of PUVs have so far consolidated into cooperatives or corporations.

Bolano assured that a transport crisis will not happen in 2024 as special permits will be issued to allow PUVs to ply routes where there are no consolidated operators.

These special permits will be issued to consolidated operators in other routes that are capable of dispatching more PUVs, as well as unconsolidated operators but only until Jan. 31.

Popular

AFP: VP security group reorganized, not disbanded

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) clarified that the Vice Presidential Security and Protection Group (VPSPG)...

Myanmar quake death toll passes 3,300: state media

By Agence France-Presse The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen above 3,300, state media said Saturday (April 5), as the United...

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...