
By Christine Fabro
The Department of Transportation (DOTr) on Monday, March 6, said railway lines are prepared to extend their operations to mitigate the effect of the on-going transport strike to the commuting public.
According to DOTr Undersecretary for Railways Cesar Chavez, the Philippine National Railways (PNR) has increased its number of transiting trainsets to extend its total trips to 60 from the 46 in August last year.
“The PNR has now 14 trainsets from seven in August 2022. With the transport strike it will extend its operation by adding 14 trips today, March 6, making the total trips to 60 from 46,” Chavez said in a release, noting that the last trip from Tutuban Station will be at 8:46 p.m. instead of 7:46 p.m.
Trips across Metro Rail Transit-3 (MRT-3) and Light Rail Transit Lines 1 and 2 (LRT-1 and LRT-2) will also be extended if deemed necessary.
MRT-3 extended operations:
Last trip from North Avenue Station – 10:00 p.m.
Last trip from Taft Avenue Station – 10:41 p.m.
LRT-2 extended operations:
Last trip from Recto Station – 10:00 p.m.
Only 10% affected
At least 11 major jeepney and UV (utility vehicle) groups in Metro Manila have decided to opt out of the planned week-long strike of some transport groups.
In a press release on Sunday, March 5, the Presidential Communications Office said the transport strike against the impending public utility vehicle modernization program will not include other transport groups across the country.
Meanwhile, several transportation agencies have prepositioned rescue bus units to augment the possible lack of the supply of public vehicles during the strike.
As of 11:00 a.m. Monday, only 10% of Metro Manila routes have been affected by the transport strike, according to Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board Technical Head Joel Balano. – ag