DPWH receives China equipment donation for Marawi rehab

MANILA — Some 47 sets of heavy equipment donated by the People’s Republic of China have arrived in the country, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said Tuesday.

According to DPWH Secretary Mark Villar, the construction equipment arrived at the Port of Iligan City this week and will be used for the quick recovery phase of Marawi City.

“Through China’s Emergency Humanitarian Assistance Program, we expect seven more equipment to arrive,” he said in a statement.

The equipment includes eight sets of excavators, eight sets of wheel loaders, five sets of compactors, five sets of track type tractors, five sets of bulldozers, eight sets of dump trucks, eight sets of cement mixers and one unit of container van.

Villar said they have so far finished site development works for six areas of transitory houses for Marawi siege evacuees.

“The area, which has been developed by DPWH in Barangay Sagongsongan, Marawi City, can accommodate 1,100 families,” he said.

“Road concreting will be completed by November this year,” Villar added.

DPWH is the lead agency for the reconstruction committee of the Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM).

“We have ordered all engineers concerned to prioritize the assessment of the area and make sure that all necessary procedures are taken care of even before the on-ground rehabilitation starts,” Villar noted.

“Our priority is to make sure that roads and bridges are in place such that there is smooth access of Marawi and its nearby towns,” he added.

Likewise, the DPWH provides and monitors assistance to evacuation centers such as improvement of roadways, installation of water supply system, latrines, communal kitchens and other related matters. (Ferdinand Patinio/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...