DPWH wants non-destructive test for Iloilo housing project

SP HEARING. The Iloilo Sangguniang Panlalawigan holds its second hearing for the alleged sustandard housing project for typhoon ‘Yolanda’ survivors on Thursday (June 22, 2018). (Photo by Cindy Ferrer)

ILOILO CITY — The Department of Public Works and Highways’ (DPWH) office in Western Visayas has recommended the conduct of a non-destructive test for housing units of the controversial PHP290-million “Yolanda” housing project in Bacjawan Sur, Concepcion, Iloilo.

The non-destructive test aims to determine the durability of the structures, said Jeylourd P. Riofrir of DPWH 6’s (Western Visayas) maintenance division during the second investigation conducted by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan on the alleged substandard project.

One of the tests is a rebound hammer to check the hardness of the concrete, Riofrir said.

The DPWH, in its report following the June 8 on-site inspection, said the “alleged substandard construction of NHA project was truly observed at the random inspection.”

In the report, the DPWH said that based on the visual and actual physical condition of the walls, it doubts that the desired compressive strength design requirement was attained due to the poor quality of concrete, low cement concrete, or improper design mix as visible on concrete walls and slabs.

Meanwhile, Herminio Carreon of Hercar Builders that contracted the project, welcomed the recommendation of DPWH-6.

“I welcome that plan to test those that have defects because I want also to assure the integrity of my work,” Carreon said in a media interview Thursday afternoon.

He added that they have already started rectifying housing units with defects.

So far, he said his office has received 279 complaints from beneficiaries and 200 have signed approval that their houses have been rectified.

Provincial Board member Renee Valencia, who chairs the committee on justice, good government, and human rights, said they will no longer conduct another hearing over the issue.

However, they will draft a committee report and submit it to the National Housing Authority’s central office, and maybe the Senate since the Senate’s housing committee is also conducting an investigation of all housing projects for victims of typhoons and other calamities. (Cindy Ferrer/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...