By Annabel Consuelo Petinglay/Philippine News Agency
SAN JOSE DE BUENAVISTA, Antique — The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is warning the public against vandalizing road signage which could cause vehicular accidents this Holy Week.
Engineer Raul Armada, chief of the DPWH Antique Maintenance Division, said Thursday that there are many contractors who complain that the road signage they placed for road projects just before the Holy Week were either stolen, damaged, or removed.
“We already coordinated with the barangay officials so that they could help us safeguard the road signage,” Armada said.
He said that it seems there are just some barangay folks who would like to do pranks by removing the road signage to the detriment of the drivers who could not be warned about the approaching danger.
Armada also said that the DPWH Antique District is observing the “Lakbay Alalay” to ensure that motorists are safe this Holy Week.
“As part of promoting road safety, road signage had been put in place by project contractors throughout the province,” he said.
Armada also said that the DPWH has already put a rumble strip just before the area where the Ceres bus fell off the cliff in Barangay Igbucagay, Hamtic evening of April 5.
“The rumble strip will serve as warning to the approaching motorists to slow down,” he said.
Armada added that the DPWH central office has instructed their DPWH Antique District to come up with a master plan that would truly address the problem of road accidents in Barangay Igbucagay.
“We are right now coming up with a master plan for the road widening,” he said.
He said that this project will be funded under the “Build, Build, Build” program of President Rodrigo R. Duterte.
For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website