DSWD: Aid to ‘Egay,’ ‘Falcon’-hit communities reaches P275M

(Photo courtesy of DSWD)

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

The national government and its partners have so far distributed P275 million worth of assistance to families severely affected by two typhoons that also enhanced the southwest monsoon, bringing a significant amount of rainfall for over two weeks.

Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Social Welfare Director Michael Christopher Mathay said on Saturday the humanitarian aid is a mix of contributions from the agency, local government units, non-government organizations and other partners.

“Regarding typhoons ‘Egay’ and ‘Falcon,’ Secretary Rex Gatchalian has fully loaded all badly affected areas in the country with family food packs,” he said during the Saturday News Forum in Quezon City.

Mathay said the agency has provided emergency cash transfers to allow the most affected families to buy necessities, including medicines. A cash-for-work initiative has also been implemented.

Meanwhile, DSWD has around P2.2 billion worth of available quick response fund and relief resources, including food and non-food items such as family food packs; kitchen, hygiene and sleeping kits; and clothing.

Mathay said more than 5,000 villages in Ilocos, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, Western, Eastern, and Central Visayas, Davao region, Soccsksargen, and Cordillera have so far received humanitarian assistance.

“Mayroon rin tayong early recovery, cash grants, para sa mga nasiraan ng bahay para matulungan natin silang bumangon muli. Ang DSWD ay 24/7 na tumutulong sa ating mga kababayan,” he said.

The agency is likewise providing psycho-social support to persons and families in different evacuation centers under DSWD’s Management Camp Coordination Program.

“Mayroon tayong mga social worker na tumutugon sa mga problemang ganyan, not only physically, but mentally,” Mathay said. – gb

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...