DSWD distributes P26.3M aid to over 1,000 media personnel, kin

By Trisha Casabar

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has so far distributed a total of P26.3 million assistance to over 1,000 media personnel and their families who are in crisis situations under the Media Welfare Project.

Of the total amount, P22.66 million was allocated for the payment of hospital bills, dialysis, chemotherapy, and other related hospitalization expenses through issuance of Guarantee Letter.

The remaining P3.64 million was used for medical expenses of members’ expensive maintenance medicines, transportation expenses, and burial assistance for deceased relatives.

Undersecretary for Innovations Edu Punay, the project head, said the assistance covers journalists, and other media workers, including their families, and non-media referrals from July 2022 to June 2023.

He said the program was initiated by President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to address the healthcare and welfare needs of the media members.

“This project is truly a brain-child of President Bongbong Marcos since he was fully aware of the plight of the media and press, as some of them are experiencing illnesses and could not afford hospitalization and medicine expenses,” said Punay.

DSWD Secretary Rex Gatchalian has expressed commitment to continue the program to support media members.

“Our goal here is for our friends in media to continue their duties as the public’s source of truthful and timely information. No one can deny the crucial role of media in nation building, while some of them even risk their lives just to fulfill their duties in the society,” he said.

“We can never abandon them during times of crisis, most especially when they are being hospitalized,” added the secretary.

Educational assistance is granted to the children of deceased journalists and media practitioners.

The DSWD said it has also provided financial assistance of P50,000 to the family of a slain radio broadcaster Cresenciano Bundoquin.

It is also currently assisting the family of a photojournalist Joshua Abiad who was injured in a shooting incident in Quezon City.

The DSWD, in coordination with the Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFOMS), is prioritizing medical assistance for the injured victims and processing burial assistance for the family of the deceased 4-year-old nephew of Abiad. –ag

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...