Duterte extends aid to Jolo fire victims

MANILA — President Rodrigo R. Duterte extended cash assistance to victims displaced by a fire in Jolo, Sulu and vowed to provide the local government with additional fire trucks.

Duterte said the victims will receive PHP 15,000 financial support with housing and other construction materials.

“So, magpadala ako ng mga yero dito. Makumpleto ko ‘yan. Magpadala ako (So I will send iron sheets. I will complete that. I will send them),” Duterte said in his speech in Jolo on Friday.

The local social welfare office also provided PHP 1,000 for each family.

Duterte added that he will soon provide Jolo with four additional fire trucks.

“Maghanap ako ng bagong malalaking apat na [truck]. August ‘yan, August. Apat na malalaking truck (I will look for four new trucks. That will be in August. Four big trucks),” he said.

Data from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) showed that at least 3,313 families were affected by the fire.

Meanwhile, Duterte also visited military officers injured during encounters against members of the AbuSayyaf Group earlier this month, at Camp Teodulfo Bautista Station Hospital.

He personally awarded Cpl. Dixon Aplahal, Cpl. Larkin Lumacad, Cpl. Binjakar Ajak, Cpl. Bernardo Cortiz, Pfc. Reynard Baynos, Pfc. John Jusay, and Pvt. Brix Cojo the Order of Lapu-Lapu, Kampilan Medals.

The Kampilan Medal is awarded to officials and personnel of the government and private individuals who were seriously wounded or injured or suffered great loss of property as a direct result of their participation in an activity pursuant to a campaign or advocacy of the President. (Azer Parrocha/PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...