Duterte eyes Galvez as next OPAPP head

By Jelly Musico – PNA

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte is eyeing outgoing Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Carlito Galvez Jr. as the next head of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP), Malacañang announced on Wednesday.

“The President announced his intention to appoint Carlito Galvez Jr. to the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process” during Tuesday night’s Cabinet meeting, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement.

Galvez, a member of the Philippine Military Academy Class of 1985, will step down on Dec. 12 upon reaching the mandatory retirement age of 56.

He had served the military for 30 years, including eight months as top official of the AFP.

Last week, Jesus Dureza resigned as Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process, taking full responsibility for the corruption allegations against two OPAPP officials – Undersecretary Ronald Flores and Assistant Secretary Yeshter Donn Baccay.

During the inauguration of the Bohol-Panglao International Airport, Duterte announced he regrets accepting the resignation of Dureza, a high school classmate at the Cor Jesu College in Digos City, Davao del Sur.

Duterte fired Flores and Baccay over allegations of corruption. Both were involved in the OPAPP support services and implementation of the PAMANA (Payapa at Masaganang Pamayanan) projects.

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...