Duterte okays closure of Boracay for 6 months starting April 26

President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the closure of world-famous resort island Boracay for six months to make way for its rehabilitation. (Photo courtesy of Boracay Informer)

MANILA — President Rodrigo R. Duterte has approved the recommendation to close Boracay for six months starting April 26, his spokesperson said on Wednesday night.

“Bora closed for 6 mos effective 26 April,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said on his official Twitter account after the Cabinet meeting.

Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra said that Duterte approved the proposal of the Departments of Environment and Natural Resources, Interior and Local Government, and Tourism (DENR, DILG, DOT) after an “exhaustive” discussion.

Guevarra also said that calamity funds would be activated for the workers affected by the closure.

Before the meeting, he said Boracay’s closure will be the Cabinet meeting’s top agenda.

The DENR, DILG, and DOT have been pushing for the total closure of the island, while other departments, such as the Department of Trade and Industry have recommended partial closure to assure that businesses and livelihood in the area are not largely affected, Guevarra said.

Duterte first threatened to close Boracay last February after lamenting that the top tourist destination has turned into a “cesspool” for its poor sewerage system.

He warned that if the environmental problems are not addressed, there will be a time that no foreigners will want to visit the island.

Over the years, tourism and development have taken a toll on the world-famous island resort known for its fine white sand and turquoise waters.

Over two million tourists visited Boracay last year, according to the DOT. (Azer Parrocha/PNA)

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...