Duterte orders thorough probe on Davao artist’s death

Malacañang on Monday (Sept. 27) said that President Rodrigo Duterte has been made aware of the death of Davao artist Bree Jonson in La Union this month.

According to Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, Duterte already ordered a thorough investigation of the incident.

“He has instructed the criminal justice system of the country to accord the victim’s justice. Pero kinakailangan po hayaan natin na magpatuloy ang imbestigasyon para malaman natin kung ano talaga ang nangyari,” Roque said.

The remains of the painter arrived in Davao City last Sunday (Sept. 26) morning.

Jonson was found lifeless on Sept. 18 inside a hostel in San Juan, La Union where she and Julian Ongpin were staying. The latter is the son of business tycoon and former trade minister Roberto Ongpin.

Based on Philippine National Police’s (PNP) laboratory result, the victim died due to asphyxia. The victim’s mother said she believes there was foul play in the incident.

“Kaya kami na-frustrate with PNP. Kami, wala kaming pera, but we managed to get our legal team. Siya, hindi mo nakikita, wala kang naririnig, wala akong narinig na pangalan ng kanyang legal team,” Salome Jonson said.

“Pero sino ang parang spokesperson niya, si General, two generals. Tapos ang lahat ng nire-release nila is not favorable to us. It’s parang shaming, ‘yun ang ayaw ko,” she added.
Meanwhile, the Department of Justice (DOJ) will handle the preliminary investigation of the drug case against Ongpin, while the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) probes Jonson’s case. – Reports from Mela Lesmoras and Bea Bernado/AG-bny

Watch full report here:

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...