Duterte to grace MassKara Festival for 3rd time

President Rodrigo Duterte delivering his speech during the highlights of the MassKara Festival in Bacolod City last year. (Presidential photo)

BACOLOD CITY — President Rodrigo Duterte will grace the highlights of the 39th MassKara Festival on Saturday marking the third time that he will attend the world-renowned festival since he was elected Chief Executive in 2016.

The President’s arrival schedule was confirmed by Government Service Insurance System president Jesus Clint Aranas in a telephone call to Mayor Evelio Leonardia on Thursday afternoon.

Aranas said Duterte is expected to arrive around 5 p.m. for the street and arena dance competition to be participated by contingents from public and elementary schools at the Bacolod Public Plaza.

He will be joined by former Special Assistant to the President Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go, who is running for senator in the May 2019 elections.

Leonardia thanked Aranas for facilitating yet again the schedule for the President’s visit to the MassKara Festival.

Two years ago, Duterte was the first-ever Chief Executive to have graced the opening of the MassKara Festival during its 37th edition on October 2.

In 2017, Dutere attended the festival highlights on October 22. He watched the performance of Barangay 18, which was eventually declared champion in the street and arena dance competition.

Leonardia earlier said it will be historic once Duterte agrees to grace the festival again this year. “I don’t think there is any festival in the Philippines the President has visited consistently three times,” the mayor said.

The President’s daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, will also visit Bacolod on the same day to witness some of the festival highlights, Leonardia announced earlier.

“Mayor Sara though is not a first-timer in MassKara because I remember many years ago I was surprised to see her among the crowd as she came incognito,” the mayor said.

Leonardia said the Davao City mayor’s presence will make the festival more exciting and more star-studded.

“Being the brightest political star today after her father, the anticipation of her visit alone makes this year’s celebration interesting and colorful,” he added. (Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...