PRRD to submit proposed 2020 nat’l budget in August

By Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte will be submitting the proposed 2020 national budget in the first or second week of August, a Palace official said on Monday.

In an interview over PTV-4, Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said the proposed budget is still being finalized.

Last year, PRRD submitted the proposed PHP3.7-trillion national budget for 2019 to the Congress on the same day he delivered his third State of the Nation Address (SONA).

In his 4th SONA on Monday, PRRD did not mention national budget but urged members of the 18th Congress to pass pieces of priority legislation concerning major tax reforms, salary increases, national land use policy, new departments and restoration of death penalty for drugs and plunder, among others.

Despite having transmitted the 2019 budget early, the government operated on a reenacted budget since January 1 this year after lawmakers failed to pass the bill on time.

Its passage was stalled due to allegations of last-minute amendments made by the House of Representatives after both the House and Senate ratified the bicameral conference committee report.

After ending the budget impasse, the Congress transmitted the proposed budget spending to PRRD on March 26, 2019.

PRRD finally signed the 2019 budget but vetoed several provisions on April 15, 2019.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website.

Popular

Palace urges discipline amid crisis on improper waste disposal

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Metro Manila does not face a garbage crisis but a crisis in improper waste disposal, Executive Secretary...

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...